Thursday, November 6, 2008

YES WE CAN

November 4, 2008 at 11:00 pm, it was announced that the next president of the United States of America would indeed be Barak Obama. Our nation will never be the same again.

For those who do not know me, I am an eighth grade teacher at an inner city school. Most of my students are poor and "minority." Wednesday morning, I was filled with a sense of National pride in which I have never felt before when I saw the hope in each of my students eyes. One of my students was overwhelmed with pride when she said, "Now we have a president who looks like me." I am sure this same sentiment is being shared by many Americans this very moment. I am particually proud for the older generations who lived through the dark period of the American experience when it was legal to discriminate becuase the color of their skin. Many of them believed they would never live to see this event every transpire in their lifetime. Now when a young black or Hispanic children tell their moms and dads that they want to be president of the United States--these parents will not have to tell them to try for different aspirations--they will be able to tell their child that they can honestly be whatever they strive to become.
Through out Obama's campaign he has been repeating his mantra over and over again, "Yes We Can." On tuesday night, he proved that he could.

No comments: