Sunday, November 2, 2008

It's Business Time

It is only two days until D-day...or rather I should say V-day. It is hard to believe it is finally here, especially since it has been over two years since the candidates initially announced they would be running.


Well, if you know me at all, you would know that I have been a huge supporter of Obama every since his inspiring speech at the Democratic National Convention back in '04. Honestly, I cannot fathom how anyone with any sense of morality could even consider to support the McCain, Palin ticket. If you have been watching the attack strategies for both of sides, you will notice a very consistent trend. McCain always goes below the belt. He attacks Obama's character, while Obama will attack McCain on the issues. It is two days until the election and no one seems to know McCain's economic plan, which is because he does not have one. He is using the old way of doing things, which is to take cheap shots which have nothing to do with the issues. Yes, it did work for Dub-Yuh for the last eight years, but it is very clear that most people are tired and want to move on. The only thing this tactic accomplishes is it shows how out of touch McCain is and how close Obama is connected to the pulse of this nation.

Last week at work I was discussing the the upcoming election with a colleague and they made the statement, "I am voting for Palin because I was a Hilary supporter." Of course, I was at work and therefore I had to hold my tongue, but what was this person thinking? Using this same logic, this person probably goes to an auto mechanic needing new brake pads, but leaving with a new battery and thinking to themselves, "They are both car parts, so what is the difference." This is how ignorant SOME of the American voters are, and that is exactly what McCain was trying to bank on. Why else would his VP candidate be someone who no one in the "lower 48" has every heard of? Why would he pick someone who's experience consists of heading the local PTA? Especially since his most compelling argument against Obama was his lack of experience. McCain was betting on the fact that the voters would not notice this blatant pandering to the people who initially voted for Hilary Clinton. The only common trait between Clinton and Palin is the fact that they are missing their "y" chromosome, because politically they could not be any different.

Hopefully, this will all be water under the bridge, because in order for McCain to win, he would basically have to win every single undecided state. Or he would have to win states which appear to be already going Democrat. I hate to count my chickens before they catch, so I will not. All I can do is hope that all the latest polls are accurate and that on Wednesday morning, the state of Illinois will lose one of its most beloved the civil servant, and the country will be better off for it.

No comments: